Monday, February 18, 2008

What was I thinking?

I'm up late studying. I have a test that is a quarter of my grade tomorrow. It's linguistics. I love languages and linguistics, but the truth is, I just don't have the time. I need to sleep-- eight hours or I am not pretty and I turn into a beast. I feel doomed for the test. I put the kids to bed early this evening and started studying. Of course Sunshine needed help making a friends a birthday card, Peaches was interested in telling me how her weekend went-- I don't mind, but it's draining. Her weekend at a relatives' home was good for her.

My husband told me I am getting bad about snapping at the kids and giving them A Look (psychotic tiger who wants to eat her young-- ROWR!) and that I needed to stop. I said I'd stop but he needed to get them to not make me have to tell them things more than once if they are over 10 years of age. One of the kids proceeded to be told something and I had to remind that person several times, "Honey, I don't want to have to just walk in and order you out! You need to stop when I ask you to."

"But you usually do and I thought you were going to just tell me again when you were ready."

I gave her the Snappy Comment and the Look. It lasted four hours with me not doing that. Grrrr. I don't do it to improve my looks! They don't' want change. They want consistency.

I've been getting up to do some Pilates and yoga every half hour. I need to do that more. I haven't' felt so good at 2AM in a long time.

There is no way I can be the editor of my college paper. I am so worn out. I will still write for them though. Maybe I will see if there are any easier classes I can take.

On the good aspect of everything-- the kids are asleep. My husband is not on his work computer. No one is whining for the TV to be on. I have Pandora Radio on and I am taking breaks from my studying and getting laundry folded. It's been months-- seriously, months since I folded it. I often tell the kids to get it and they just recycle it into the clean clothes. We need to turn that BS off more often. So what if I am listening to Helen Reddy, Charlene, Shirley Bassy, Melissa Manchester, and Captain and Tennille and other artists who mostly only my gay friends appreciate! They will have to listen to it. They don't want a nutty mommy and they can put up with what makes me happy and serene so I get things done and don't have to ask them, and still feel like studying.

1 comment:

steve on the slow train said...

In my Dickens Challenge story, my character Helena is an absolute whiz with languages. In the chapter I just finished she's studying the Zoroastrian scriptures in the language of ancient Persia, the Qur'an in Arabic, and the Zohar in Hebrew, among other works. My protagonist Timothy struggles with medieval French. She's fiction, of course, but there are people like that. I'm not one of them.

What's now called linguistics was once called philology--literally the love of words (philia+logos). Tolkien was a philologist. I'm not really sure of the distinction betweeen philology and linguistics, but somehow philology sounds like it might be more fun.

I hope all goes well with your exam.