Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving for Many Things

I am thankful for my husband and sweet children (and not so sweet children!)

I am thankful that my mother has a really awesome boyfriend/husband who worships her.

I am thankful that I go to a church where I actually like the people who are there, and the ladies who I am friends with.

I am thankful for being part of a prison ministry and that I am able to serve.

I am thankful that a really cool rabbi and his wife put my head on straight about my education. (A priest would not have been the same. "Golda Meir was 72 when she became prime minister! You have time to accomplish other things, but raise your children now!")

I am thankful for a husband who wants me to not get my masters for now and to just finish my BA and we'll muddle through the student loans I've amassed.

I am thankful for a 19 year old daughter who comes home on holidays and loves her brothers and sisters-- and her mother and step father.

I am thankful for in-laws who include the goings on of my daughters who my husband was not able to adopt but who are grafted into his heart, and consider them just as much a part of the family as anyone else.

I am thankful that my dog, who seemed sick the other day, is better.

I am thankful for the internet and my cool blog pals.

I am thankful that I can be both progressive and conservative and that's it's OK to believe in the merits of both.

I am thankful for a particular pen-pal who encourages me with my art and who inspires me do keep going with it.

I am thankful for getting out of major debt this year and pray it continues, that we get out of the rest.

4 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

You do have a lot to be thankful for! I think its a great list.

Unknown said...

It is a good think to be thankful about many things.

gay CME guy said...

Thanks for the visit and comment, TNC. Are you a seminarian? I'd like to know more about your prison work and what brought you to that particular mode of service.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

gay CME guy-- I don't know what I am doing. I have taken some time out to figure it out. Do you know the song by Enya, "Anywhere is. . ." That is my life!

I have a podcast that I had thought was panned. I decided to give up an MA Creative Writing idea because of that and start taking classes online at the seminary. (There are several that are accredited and online.) The only problem with working as a chaplain is that I have to deal with other Christians-- most are great, but then you get into people who start this holier-than-thou trip and I want to just. . . get. . . away. . . from. . . them. Those people would probably be my bosses as they were some of my over-seers in Kairos! (IT's women and they have inappropriate boundaries.)

When I was trying to figure out the seminary idea, I was told to get my sh-- together because I am expected to do a run through for the opening of the station to present my PODCAST which had been recorded in May! They also want me to talk about my student paper which is awesome.

Everything is fluid right now.

I got into the prison ministry because I took care of a lady's animals years ago and had an implosion in my soul at the prison. I felt tightening around my heart when I went to see the lady and I never forgot it long after she got out. I started doing research on prisons on my own and learned some things that I didn't like. I discovered a Republican legislature who is unsympathetic towards the incarcerated-- incarcerated people can't vote and are disenfranchised and it's easy to cut their funding. I cannot save anyone, but I can in my own way make their present better.

I'm a housewife, often stuck myself. I think that what we are all entrapped by the choices we make, be it that they put us behind bars or that they have us putting 300 miles on our SUV's each week, or working a 50 hour week. . . and that these choices affect us for years and years.