Friday, July 11, 2008

Biggest Pet Peeve: Parents who Disparge their Well Behaved Children

Today I took the kids out to run some errands-- I had the seven youngest with me. While out, I always notice families with lots of kids because they are like me, but I also notice kids in general because they are kids. I was at a clothing store and there was a delightful young four year old shopping with her mother and I told her mom what a pretty daughter she had and how well behaved she was. The little princess of all that is good gave me the biggest smile I'd ever seen and then her mother turned off the light in her daughter's eyes by saying, "O gawd. You should see her at home." The princess turned red in her face as if she'd been slapped and started to tear up.

I felt terrible for having said anything and said to her mother, "Hey! Isn't that how it's supposed to be? If they were terrors in the store, we'd never take them out!"

No comments: