Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Singing the Blues

What is it about my art? I am a hick!

I went to music class today and after years of singing in the car and being the ultimate belter of great music, in class, I croaked!

My prof told us that we could sing any song from the book. I glanced over the list and chose "Sing" from Sesame Street. The accompanist started to play and everyone laughed as I threw up my hands, "Wait! This isn't like the Muppets on Sesame Street!" Too much range. I have a vocal range that goes from A to B.

I was perplexed and my prof asked me what was going through my mind. I said, "That you can't keep me here past 1:50 when class gets out." She started laughing and then glared, "I'll keep you in here as long as I want and you'll do as I say!" She was loudly singing with me, "Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. . . just sing! Sing a song!"

I have to laugh at myself. What I was really thinking was that linguistics wasn't so terrible after all, nor is my statistics class. I got to stats a few minutes after singing and did well.

I am not as stupid as I write about myself. This is about how I am feeling. I am not failing anything I like I was failing Russian. The singing is a terrible exposure and I feel quite vulnerable. Such is life. Next week it will be better. I am using my recorder to figure out the beat of the songs we have in the book.

4 comments:

Steve said...

All these great new adventures you're having. Think about what you tell your kids about not worrying what the others think. The only one you need to measure yourself against is you.

Simon Jester said...

I can forgive much. But really? The Carpenters?

But I suppose I'll be back. I like your style.

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I meant for you to see Sesame Street!

Not Important said...

"Sing of good things, not bad..."

What a great thing.